We all want to be fit, healthy and strong but staying motivated is not always easy. You really need to power through and find what works for you.
I’ve been going to the gym and taking working out seriously for around 3 years now and let me me tell you, it takes a lot discipline to carry on.
I’ve pinned down the 6 easy ways of keeping myself on course, motivated and happy to exercise (yes, happy!). I hope you find them as useful as I do.
- Set a goal: like with everything in life, I find that if you have a goal it is easier to look forward and take small steps to achieve it. The same applies to working out. Either you want to loose wait, get more toned or just get that 6 pack, just keep this goal in mind, visualize it every step of the way and I guarantee you’ll be getting up off the couch more frequently.
- Document your progress: Take before and after pictures every 2 weeks, note down how long it takes you to run 5km at the end of every month or to increase your weights at that Body Pump class. Whatever it takes to keep you focused on your progress and motivated to continue everyday.
- Get company: If you have a friend that loves working out or also has a fitness goal of some sort, go together to the gym every so often, go for a run together, compare weights at the Pump class for a healthy competition. If you have somebody waiting for you, it is very unlikely you’ll skip that gym or run session. Also, you are more likely to put extra effort as human beings are competitive by nature 😉
- Wear gym clothes you like: If you just bought new fitness clothes or just have really nice ones that you love and make you feel beautiful, that’s a first step to wanting to put them on and get out the door.
- Find a class/exercise you truly enjoy: If you hate running, do a dance class to make sure you get that cardio in. If you dislike gym machines, join a group class. Just find whatever is fun for you.
- Create a routine: Make sure you fit exercise into your calendar and create a routine that works for you. Once it does become a routine in your week, it will be more difficult to dismiss it. You will even probably miss it (unbelievable, I know!). Try to stick to your routine for 20 days straight, as that’s how long it takes for the hum being to create a habit.
Bonus tip: Follow fitness gurus for inspiration. Besides beauty and Fashion, my Instagram feed is also filled with fitness and health gurus, to keep me inspired throughout the journey.
How about you – how do you keep yourself motivated?